3D modeling in the aerospace industry has ensured high standardization in terms of accuracy and precision. Recent controls and regulations in the aerospace industry require the highest possible levels of standardization which is normally achieved through the use of 3D modeling (parametrically). Additionally, 3D modeling has ensured timely production of all parts in line with specifications.
To achieve an accuracy such as 0.005” as frequently required in aerospace industry, the tools used for manufacturing various parts must be as precise and accurate as possible. With competition in the aerospace industry being a very important factor for success, accuracy is regarded as a secret ingredient in the industry. In the aerospace industry, accuracy is defined on the basis of requirement of the processes involved in manufacturing a part. Types of accuracy include path and positioning accuracy which can all be achieved with 3D modeling. These can be applied individually or at the same time.
Someone may then ask: Why use 3D modeling to achieve such high accuracy for the manufacturing tools used in the Aerospace Industry?
The answers to these questions include:
- Reduction of human error: Accurately manufacturing tools have resulted to reduction of human error as well as increasing precision and productivity.
- Reduction of wastes: With accurate manufacturing tools in the aerospace industry, fewer wastes has been noted leading to increased profits.
- Enhancement of quality: Quality is the backbone of the aerospace industry. Using 3D modeling has ensured precision and accuracy which in turn has enhanced the quality of manufactured parts. Some of the technologies that have helped to improve quality through improved accuracy are CNC and EDM.
- Lower cost of parts and manufacturing time: Using high accurate manufacturing tools ensures that parts are produced in large quantities within short periods. This, in turn, reduces manufacturing costs. The reduced costs go towards reducing the various costs such as flight costs paid by customers and thus increasing the market share.
- Ease of documentation: Documentation has, from time to time, resulted to compromise of accuracy. With 3D modeling, accurate information has been transferred from one user to another (such as designers to manufacturers to quality controllers, etc.) ensuring the maintenance of high levels of accuracy.
- Compatibility of standards: There are a number of standards in use today such as ISO, DIN, BSI, ANSI, etc. With 3D modeling, compliance with any required standard has been very easy with just a click of a button.
Another question someone would ask is: What is parametric modeling and how is it related to accuracy?
Parametric modeling (a type of 3D modeling) involves the use of a computer when designing parts and systems to model attributes having real-world behaviors. It involves the use of feature-based, surface and solid modeling tools able to manipulate the attributes of the system being designed. This allows for ease of editing and design improvement. In addition, high accuracies can be maintained during the design process. This, in turn, allows for flexibility, ease of viewing the design and thus enhanced communication between project teams, reduced engineering cycle of design, as well as increased efficiency. Parametric modeling tools are classified as small-scale, large scale, and industry-specific software. Some of the software that works on basis of parametric modeling include Solidworks and CATIA among others.
CAD / CAM Services
At CAD / CAM Services, we specialize in engineering design using modern software such as CATIA and Solidworks among others. We have experience in the design of planes, pressure vessels, tanks, etc. Our team of designers are well trained and always reminded to consider accuracy as one of our considerations when it comes to the generation of 3D CAD models for our clients. In doing so, CAD / CAM Services takes away the admirative hustle couple with reasonable costs as well as expertise delivery of 3D CAD design services, reliability, and top protection of the data exchange between our clients and the experts. CAD / CAM Services has experience working with high profile companies such as Boeing, Coca-Cola, and Thompson among others. We look forward to having you as our next client and we promise to offer the best accurate, dependable results.
You can visit us any time at: