High-Quality and Professional
Outsourced CAD Drafting
Get CAD Models That Work for You
Regardless of your industry and application, you can’t do anything with CAD models that don’t work with your in-house CAD programs. If you tell us that you only have AutoCAD licenses in-house, then we’ll ensure you only receive high-quality CAD drafting models that open in AutoCAD.
This ensures that your models are usable and leads to a more turnkey project — we send the final files to you, and you can simply open them and send them to machine shops.
What Is CAD Drafting?
CAD drafting is the digital way to make 2D drawings. CAD stands for computer-aided drafting, and it earned that name because it involves an engineer using a computer to put together professional drawings.
Outsourced CAD drafting is the modern equivalent of old-school Mylar hand drawings.
People put together CAD drafting files so they can send a designed part out for manufacturing. The machine shop will use your CAD drafting files to understand the dimensions, material requirements, and all features that need to be included within your part.
Each CAD drafting file should include important information that’s used in manufacturing or assembling your part/s. Without CAD drafting, there’s no efficient and cost-effective way to get your part fabricated (unless you’re 3D printing it).
The Benefits of Outsourced CAD Drafting
Why do people choose to outsource their professional CAD drafting with CAD/CAM Services? There are a number of benefits:
- Faster turnarounds.We offer outsourced CAD drafting turnarounds as fast as 24 hours. With faster turnarounds, you can get your product to market even sooner.
- More affordable. Outsourcing your CAD drafting project is the most affordable way to get high-quality results. You only pay for the work done on your project and you don’t have to worry about paying salaries, benefits, training costs, or time off.
- Leverage the experts. Our team of multidisciplinary experts can lend their expertise to any project we have. With more experts to choose from, you’ll get even better results.
- No need to juggle work. You don’t need to burn out your engineers with a dozen projects to juggle. Instead, a single outsourced team can handle the computer-aided drafting while you focus on other timeline-sensitive work.
- High-quality files in a fraction of the time. With CAD/CAM Services, you’ll always get high-quality, CAD Perfect files in a fraction of the time. Don’t settle for anything less.
How CAD Drafting Fits in Your Operation
We have a team of over 100 engineers and draftsmen. We have experience with dozens of CAD drafting programs, and we’ll ensure our deliverables fit into your operation perfectly.
We have full licenses for a number of major CAD software:
Make sure you tell us which CAD software you’d like us to use, to ensure you get the right files.
Our outsourced CAD drafting files can be delivered in any CAD format that works for you. The most common option is a DWG or PDF file, but here is our full list of options:
- .CATDRAWING CATIA V5 Drawing
- .DLV CATIA 4 Export File
- .DRWDOT SolidWorks Drawing Template
- .SLDDRW SolidWorks Drawing File
- .DGN MicroStation Design File
- .DRW Creo drawing files
- .DWG – This is a native AutoCAD drawing file
- .DXF – “Drawing Interchange File” – a neutral version of a DWG file
- .DWS AutoCAD Drawing Standards File
.DWT AutoCAD Drawing Template
.DXE AutoCAD Data Extraction Template
.DXX AutoCAD Drawing Interchange Attribute File
- .IDE Inventor iFeature File
.IDV Inventor Design View File
.IDW Inventor Drawing
- .PDF Portable Document Format
- .X_T – a semi-neutral CAD format
- .Z3 ZW3D, a 2D CAD software
All of our data exchanges are done through a DoD secure web portal, which is one of the safest ways to exchange files, no matter how confidential the data is.
Get a Quote Today
We have created millions of CAD drafting files over our decades in business. We know how to deliver CAD Perfect results consistently across any industry or application. We’ve worked with small mom-and-pop shops, massive Fortune 500 companies, and everything in between. You can trust CAD/CAM Services for your next CAD drafting project.
CAD Drafting FAQs
What’s the minimum price for CAD drafting?
Our CAD drafting services have a minimum order price of $150.
Which CAD file formats do you work with?
Please scroll up to see our extensive list of CAD file formats that we work with. Note that these file formats are only for 2D CAD drafting, we offer 3D CAD design and CAD conversions that offer dozens more file formats to choose from.
What’s the fastest turnaround for CAD drafting work?
Our facility runs three shifts and 24/7 to ensure the fastest turnarounds on the market. We offer turnarounds as low as 24 hours on our CAD drafting work.
How are your CAD drafting projects billed?
We like to bill our CAD drafting projects per hour. The rate depends on the CAD software that we use and any specialties or expertise that your project requires. It typically starts at $55 an hour, and you only get billed for hours that went directly to your project (no, you don’t get charged for any time spent daydreaming or working on other projects).
Often, we’ll include a limit to the cost, called a “not to exceed quote”. This will protect your budget and make sure you’re never paying too much.
We can also provide a fixed cost as part of our PO, if you would prefer that route.
What do you need for an accurate CAD drafting quote?
To get the most accurate CAD drafting quote, we’ll need the following:
- Target CAD file/software. We’ll make sure we send files you can actually open and use.
- How many parts you need drafted. Larger orders usually come with some discounts, so make sure you tell us how many drawings you need.
- Any existing notes/drawings/files. These can help with the CAD drafting process, but you can also come to us with a general idea and some constraints if the part isn’t designed yet.
- Turnaround time. If you have a strict need-by date, we need to know it. Alternatively, if you have a date that you’d like delivery by, let us know and we’ll make sure you get the part in time.
- Any manufacturing requirements. In some cases, clients have an in-house machine shop that will make the part, and all they have is a CNC milling machine. This changes how we engineer and design the part. If you have manufacturing requirements that might limit the design process, please let us know. This ensures the final design can be made in your facilities.
What parts can be made with CAD drafting?
Any part that will be machined or manufactured can be made with CAD drafting. We’ve designed everything from simple brackets to entire aircrafts in CAD drafting. Parts can be reverse-engineered or designed from scratch, OEM parts or aftermarket alternatives, and everything in between.
What industries can benefit from CAD drafting services?
We’ve been doing this for 3 decades, and we’ve worked with many different industries and too many applications to count. From our experience, we learned that any industry can benefit from CAD drafting services. The bottom line is that you’ll save time and money any time you need to manufacture or fabricate a part (whether it’s new, a spare, or an OEM part).
Is CAD drafting better than manual drafting?
CAD drafting is a thousand times better than manual drafting. With CAD, it’s much easier to design a part, the accuracy is much higher, machinists have an easier time making the part, it’s simpler to iterate on designs, sharing files is more optimized, and collaboration is a breeze.
Manual drafting has been aged out, and very few companies create new manual drawings, they almost all defer to CAD drafting instead — it’s the same reason why we use calculators instead of counting on our fingers.
What’s the difference between CAD drafting and CAD designing?
These terms are sometimes used interchangeably, but they’re very different. CAD drafting involves 2D drawings that give a manufacturer the information they need to fabricate a part. The standard format is 3 “plan” views and an isometric view with plenty of dimensions, notes, and specifications.
CAD designing typically involves 3D CAD modeling. We also offer that through CAD/CAM Services if you need 3D models as well. If you go through the CAD designing process and make a 3D model, you can also generate 2D CAD drafting drawings from it.
What comes with CAD drafting purchases?
With a CAD drafting purchase, you’ll receive CAD Perfect 2D files that are ready for manufacturing. We design each part with manufacturing in mind, and we include all of the information needed to fabricate your part. We don’t do any machining, just engineering, designing, and drafting. However, you can take our files directly to a machine shop and they can make the part with no further information needed from you.
What CAD software do you use?
Our full list of CAD software can be found above, but we use all of the large 2D CAD drafting software like AutoCAD, Inventor, CATIA, Siemens NX, Creo, and SolidWorks. We also deal with foreign CAD software and rare files to fit your workflow.
What are the benefits of CAD drafting services?
Outsourcing your CAD drafting will likely save you time and money on each project. At the same time, you’re avoiding the headaches of drafting while leveraging industry experts at CAD/CAM Services.
How much does CAD drafting cost?
Depending on the software used, our 2D CAD drafting costs $45 an hour and up. For more niche industries/applications, more intricate designs, and faster turnarounds, our hourly or fixed price will be higher. In general, you can expect to pay the following starting rates for CAD drafting projects:
- AutoCAD 2D, D or E size sheet: flat rate $185
- Basic AutoCAD 2D work $45+/hr
- SolidWorks work, level 2 or 3 CAD tech: $55+/hr
- Creo 2D work: $95+/hr
- Siemens NX work: $95+/hr
- CATIA V5 work: $95+/hr
- Additional BIM work: $65+/hr
General CAD FAQ
I need my project done today or tomorrow. Can you process rush jobs?
Depending upon when you catch us, yes, we can handle rush jobs. We often work over the holidays, Thanksgiving and even Christmas holidays. If you have a deadline – call us.
For years we have run three shifts of about 30 drafting folks per shift – allowing us to deliver work 3x faster, and seven days a week. Yes, we work 24/7, so you do not have to. The fun never stops here.
For 3D scanning, this is a different question. Because of the common setup work required, at best expect a 48-72 hour turn to be scanned. CAD or simulation services are in addition to that.
Who is affected by the PPD-21 directive?
The Department of Homeland Security has identified 16 different infostructures:
- Chemical Sector,
- Commercial Facilities Sector,
- Communications Sector,
- Critical Manufacturing Sector,
- Dams Sector,
- Defense Industrial Base Sector,
- Emergency Services Sector,
- Energy Sector,
- Financial Services Sector,
- Food and Agriculture Sector,
- Government Facilities Sector,
- Healthcare and Public Health Sector,
- Information Technology Sector,
- Nuclear Reactors Materials and Waste Sector,
- Transportation Systems Sector,
- Water and Wastewater Systems Sector.
This is both Government and private sectors.
If you are in any of these industries, this directive is important to you for many reasons. Do you know where your critical sections are? Are they well protected? Are there concerns for Hazmat, security clearance requirements, and other concerns? Can you quickly rebuild what might be lost?
The important part of this means that critical infrastructure must be secure and able to withstand and rapidly recover from all hazards. Achieving this will require integration with the national preparedness system across prevention, protection, mitigation, response, and recovery.
Further details can be found at: Government PPD-21
DHS – The National Infrastructure Protection Plan details: The National Infrastructure Protection Plan
Industry specific plans: 2015 Industry specific PPD-21 plans
CAD / CAM Services provides PPD-21 for the following industries: DHS – CAD / CAM Services
What is the PPD-21 Protocall?
The Presidential Policy Directive 21 (PPD-21) is a Critical Infrastructure Protection and Resilience United States directive that aims to strengthen and secure the country’s critical infrastructure.The goal of this directive is to reduce vulnerabilities, identify and disrupt threats, minimize consequences and hasten response and recovery efforts related to critical infrastructure.
The directive defines resilience as the ability to prepare for and adapt to ever changing conditions, terrorists, and withstand and recover rapidly from disruptions. Resilience includes the ability to withstand and recover from deliberate attacks, accidents, or naturally occurring threats or incidents.
Do you support the PPD-21 Directive?
Yes we do, and have now for several years. In addition, we also support the industry specific plans as well.
Did you really own the trademark Cad Perfect™, Cad Perfect CAD Conversions™ and Cad / Cam Services™?
Yes, we did back in 2008. We started using Cad Perfect™ back in the early 1990s because all of our customers wanted only real Cad Perfect™ work. Back then the buzz words were terms like machine ready, or DXF Traceover and others.
The problem is, nobody wanted that. They all wanted drawings and models that they did not have to touch. Everybody wanted drawings just as if they hand redrew the work themselves.
Thus, Cad / Cam Services™ was the first company to start offering ONLY Cad Perfect™ work.
What is the estimated delivery time?
It depends on the scope of work:
- 2D drawings – small quantity, normally 48 hours. We have several customers where they contract to us, keeping 4-8 drafters busy full time.
- 3D models – complexity dependent, but smaller jobs in 2-3 days. Some models we have spent months on. Again, we have several customers where they contract to us, keeping 6-10 3D CAD designers busy full time.
Simple jobs have a lead time of 48 hours. Larger projects are delivered and invoiced weekly.
Will CAD / CAM Services Sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA)?
Yes. NDAs are a common part of our business. All data is yours – not ours, and treated as proprietary data and not for public consumption or use. Probably 70% of our work is under NDA agreements. We can generally get these signed within the day.
How do I send a sample, in order to get a quote?
Fill out our quote form, attach your files, or simply send us an email. Tell everything about your project, like the model purpose.
For smaller files < 15 MB you can simply email them to us. For something larger, just drop them in any number of drop boxes like Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive and others. Or if you would like, just contact us for a private, hardened link.
It is fine to use most any time of compression such as *.zip, *.rar, *.tar, *.7z, *.arc, *.LBR, and even *.iso images.
A direct email is [email protected]
We also use a hardened OwnCloud web file sharing platform for unlimited file transfers. We provide unique and very private Web Storage Portals, this also supports file syncing for extreme convenience for you. Because so much of our work is DOD or weapons design work, Security – and confidentiality is very important to us.
- Video Demonstration