Fast & Professional 3D CAD Conversion
Your 3D CAD Conversion Requests. Just the Way You want them.
Modern CAD systems provide access to dozens of features and empower engineers all over the world. Each CAD software system has its own feature set and a proprietary file format which contains some specific information describing features and sketches the 3D model is made of.
Features get lost, intelligence gets lost, and often dumb 3D CAD data is generated. Thus there is a high importance of getting an experienced professional involved in your 3D CAD Conversion projects. We are fluent in the major five 3D CAD Software products, this provides us a unique approach to CAD applications.
What is 3D CAD Conversion?
3D CAD Conversion is the process of converting a 2D drawing into a 3D model. CAD Data Conversion is a medium of exchange for establishing a line of communication among multiple CAD applications and systems.
If you are performing CAD migration from any legacy CAD software look no further. We specialize in rescuing legacy drawings and other engineering legacy data sources so you can concentrate on product engineering.
Your simple migration process is safe with our experience. This includes transferring data from and to Enovia, Siemens PLM, Windchill, Solidworks Vault, and others.
While converting from any CAD to any CAD system we produce CAD Perfect™ results. We can make seamless CAD conversions leaving all your original model trees and assembly mates intact. If you have any custom standards using our experienced, professional, and proprietary translation services assures your files will truly be CAD Perfect™.
How We Work With Your Organization
Our team is familiar with many software and formats to help with 3D CAD conversions.
Here is the major CAD software we support:
Here are some of the various CAD formats that our experts work with:
- .CATDRAWING CATIA V5 Drawing
- .CATPART CATIA V5 Part File
- .CATPRODUCT CATIA V5 Assembly File
- .CGR CATIA Graphical Representation File
- .MODEL CATIA 3D Model FIle
- .DLV CATIA 4 Export File
- .DRWDOT SolidWorks Drawing Template
- .EDRW SolidWorks eDrawings File
- .SLDASM SolidWorks Assembly File
- .SLDDRW SolidWorks Drawing File
- .SLDPRT SolidWorks Part File
- .SMG SolidWorks Composer File
- ASCII (or ASC) – an X, Y, Z point cloud file in ASCII text format.
- .ASM Solid Edge Assembly File
- .CAD Autodesk QuickCAD File
- .DGN MicroStation Design File
- .CEL MicroStation Cell Library
- .CMP Solid Edge Wire Harness File
- .CNC CNC Machine Tool Path or PartMaster CNC File
- .DRW Creo drawing files
- .PRT Creo part files, formally Pro/Engineer
- .ASM Creo assembly file
- DWG – This is a native AutoCAD drawing file
- DXF – “Drawing Interchange File” – a neutral version of a DWG file
- .DWS AutoCAD Drawing Standards File
.DWT AutoCAD Drawing Template
.DXE AutoCAD Data Extraction Template
.DXX AutoCAD Drawing Interchange Attribute File
- .IAM Inventor Assembly File
- .IDE Inventor iFeature File
.IDV Inventor Design View File
.IDW Inventor Drawing
- .IPJ Inventor Project File
.IPN Inventor Presentation File
.IPT Inventor Part File
- IGES – “Initial Graphics Exchange Specification” – a neutral format for exchanging CAD data between many different software programs
- .JT JT, created by Siemens / NX, is unusual in that it can contain both Brep and Visrep content. JT is also compressed about 8:1, so it is a good visualization format for large assemblies.
- .MCX MICRO CADAM-X/6000 Model Data File
- .NWD Navisworks Document
.NWF Navisworks File Set
- .NX Unigraphics NX
- OBJ – an open data format that represents the vertices of polygons
- PRT – a native CAD format for Pro/ENGINEER and NX (Unigraphics)
- .PRT Creo Parametric Part File
.PRT Solid Edge Part File
.PRT Unigraphics Part File
.PRT CADKEY Part File
- SLDPRT – a native CAD format for SolidWorks
- STEP – “Standard for the Exchange of Product model data,” (ISO 10303) an advanced neutral format for exchanging CAD data between many different software programs.
- STL – “Standard Tessellation Language” – a polygonal model format similar to OBJ and several others
- UNV – I-DEAS (IDEAS) Universal Model File and other I-DEAS files
- WRL (VRML) – “Virtual Reality Modeling Language,” a polygonal file similar to OBJ, STL, and several others and can include color
- X_T – a semi-neutral CAD format
- .X_B Parasolid Model Part File
.X_T Parasolid Model Part File
- .WRP Geomagic GeomView Design File
- .Z3 ZW3D, a good AutoCAD competitor for 2D and 3D CAD software
We also directly support converting scanned Point Cloud data into CAD Perfect™ CAD files. So your scanned data from Faro, Artec, Creaform, and other great 3D scanners – call on CAD / CAM Services for professional CAD Services.
All of our data is transferred via our DOD secure web portal.
Request A Quote
We have produced and converted in excess of 1,000,000 (yes million) 2D and 3D CAD files for Amazon.com alone. Including complex Mylar to CAD 3D CAD Conversions for GE Avionics, Boeing, Airbus, the Air Force, and most other Aerospace companies.
31-years of great customer services for these Fortune 500 companies prove your 3D CAD conversion services are in good hands.
CAD Conversion FAQ
There are special CAD translator software packages available on the market, why should I pay you guys?
It is better to ask the following question:
What can you do that a software translator cannot do?
- Verify files.
- Update files
- Fix files
- Convert the CAD data to native intelligent CAD data with full feature trees.
- Update data to the current CAD standards.
- Work in the native PLM systems.
- Correctly write scripts for this process as needed.
My company wants to change the focus of our CAD systems, is it possible to do this with your help?
Of course, we offer CAD migration services. If you want all the Cad Perfect™ files to comply with your updated company standard, just send us the guidelines and we will make Cad Perfect™ files which are perfect for you!
I have some exotic files nobody knows even how to open. Can you help me even in this case?
Yes, we performed successful conversions from many local or exotic and ancient CAD systems. You can continue the development of old projects in modern software with our help.
I have some weird CAD files from the previous century, can you help me?
Yes, absolutely. We can perform legacy CAD conversions. Just send us some example files, and what CAD system we need to wind up in, and let us design the best solution for you.We have worked with old Computer Vision tapes, Anvil, and many other 1980’s systems.
Which CAD systems do you work with?
We support all the modern CAD systems including SolidWorks, Catia, Siemens NX, PTC Creo, Inventor, Revit, AutoCAD, and many others.
Which CAD file formats do you work with?
All the CAD file formats are listed on this page but bear in mind that we also work with exotic and legacy CAD systems. After 31 years of providing CAD Services, we have run into almost any CAD file format.
What do I get?
You get native Cad Perfect™ files with the full-featured model tree (where applicable, since some file types have no trees), and features can be fully parametric. It all depends on your goals. We prefer to not translate any files. Our goal is to deliver to you a file that you do not have to touch. Our work is exactly as if you had reproduced that work in-house.
What do you need to provide me with an accurate quote?
We need to know source CAD and target CAD software. Since large quantity orders can be discounted by us you can provide us with the number of parts you need to be converted.
If you tell us the desired purpose of the conversion we can offer you some conversion options. We can also convert your files into vendor-neutral file types (.STEP, .STL, etc,).
Please email us even cell phone photos, and the rough size of what you wish scanned and converted [email protected].
General CAD FAQ
I need my project done today or tomorrow. Can you process rush jobs?
Depending upon when you catch us, yes, we can handle rush jobs. We often work over the holidays, Thanksgiving and even Christmas holidays. If you have a deadline – call us.
For years we have run three shifts of about 30 drafting folks per shift – allowing us to deliver work 3x faster, and seven days a week. Yes, we work 24/7, so you do not have to. The fun never stops here.
For 3D scanning, this is a different question. Because of the common setup work required, at best expect a 48-72 hour turn to be scanned. CAD or simulation services are in addition to that.
Who is affected by the PPD-21 directive?
The Department of Homeland Security has identified 16 different infostructures:
- Chemical Sector,
- Commercial Facilities Sector,
- Communications Sector,
- Critical Manufacturing Sector,
- Dams Sector,
- Defense Industrial Base Sector,
- Emergency Services Sector,
- Energy Sector,
- Financial Services Sector,
- Food and Agriculture Sector,
- Government Facilities Sector,
- Healthcare and Public Health Sector,
- Information Technology Sector,
- Nuclear Reactors Materials and Waste Sector,
- Transportation Systems Sector,
- Water and Wastewater Systems Sector.
This is both Government and private sectors.
If you are in any of these industries, this directive is important to you for many reasons. Do you know where your critical sections are? Are they well protected? Are there concerns for Hazmat, security clearance requirements, and other concerns? Can you quickly rebuild what might be lost?
The important part of this means that critical infrastructure must be secure and able to withstand and rapidly recover from all hazards. Achieving this will require integration with the national preparedness system across prevention, protection, mitigation, response, and recovery.
Further details can be found at: Government PPD-21
DHS – The National Infrastructure Protection Plan details: The National Infrastructure Protection Plan
Industry specific plans: 2015 Industry specific PPD-21 plans
CAD / CAM Services provides PPD-21 for the following industries: DHS – CAD / CAM Services
What is the PPD-21 Protocall?
The Presidential Policy Directive 21 (PPD-21) is a Critical Infrastructure Protection and Resilience United States directive that aims to strengthen and secure the country’s critical infrastructure.The goal of this directive is to reduce vulnerabilities, identify and disrupt threats, minimize consequences and hasten response and recovery efforts related to critical infrastructure.
The directive defines resilience as the ability to prepare for and adapt to ever changing conditions, terrorists, and withstand and recover rapidly from disruptions. Resilience includes the ability to withstand and recover from deliberate attacks, accidents, or naturally occurring threats or incidents.
Do you support the PPD-21 Directive?
Yes we do, and have now for several years. In addition, we also support the industry specific plans as well.
Did you really own the trademark Cad Perfect™, Cad Perfect CAD Conversions™ and Cad / Cam Services™?
Yes, we did back in 2008. We started using Cad Perfect™ back in the early 1990s because all of our customers wanted only real Cad Perfect™ work. Back then the buzz words were terms like machine ready, or DXF Traceover and others.
The problem is, nobody wanted that. They all wanted drawings and models that they did not have to touch. Everybody wanted drawings just as if they hand redrew the work themselves.
Thus, Cad / Cam Services™ was the first company to start offering ONLY Cad Perfect™ work.
What is the estimated delivery time?
It depends on the scope of work:
- 2D drawings – small quantity, normally 48 hours. We have several customers where they contract to us, keeping 4-8 drafters busy full time.
- 3D models – complexity dependent, but smaller jobs in 2-3 days. Some models we have spent months on. Again, we have several customers where they contract to us, keeping 6-10 3D CAD designers busy full time.
Simple jobs have a lead time of 48 hours. Larger projects are delivered and invoiced weekly.
Will CAD / CAM Services Sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA)?
Yes. NDAs are a common part of our business. All data is yours – not ours, and treated as proprietary data and not for public consumption or use. Probably 70% of our work is under NDA agreements. We can generally get these signed within the day.
How do I send a sample, in order to get a quote?
Fill out our quote form, attach your files, or simply send us an email. Tell everything about your project, like the model purpose.
For smaller files < 15 MB you can simply email them to us. For something larger, just drop them in any number of drop boxes like Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive and others. Or if you would like, just contact us for a private, hardened link.
It is fine to use most any time of compression such as *.zip, *.rar, *.tar, *.7z, *.arc, *.LBR, and even *.iso images.
A direct email is [email protected]
We also use a hardened OwnCloud web file sharing platform for unlimited file transfers. We provide unique and very private Web Storage Portals, this also supports file syncing for extreme convenience for you. Because so much of our work is DOD or weapons design work, Security – and confidentiality is very important to us.
3D Modeling FAQ
What is the minimum price for your 3D modeling services?
We have a minimum order fee $150.
How do you check your models?
We create 2D drawings from our 3D models for QC purposes. We follow aerospace standards and deliver ±.005” accuracy models for all projects. All of our QC is done by a different person than the designer. On Catia work, we often use Q-Checker for Airbus.
What do you need to give me accurate pricing?
First of all, we need to know the target CAD system and whether you have an existing template, or set of CAD standards for this project.
The main question is the overall complexity. As each part and assembly consists of different features and elements the best way is to provide us with an example. Again, a picture is worth a thousand words.
If you already have a model and need us to improve it or update it in any way we need to know which dimensions and features are critical and which can be modified to achieve your desired result. Even a before and after example works very well. We started with x, and got to this CAD file.
We can also offer you better options if you provide us with the purpose of your project (demonstration, 3D printing, FEA Simulation, CNC manufacturing, etc.). This helps us better refine the task.
How do you bill 3D CAD services tasks?
Per hour. Hourly rate depends on what CAD software used and typically starts at $75 per hour. In general, to make this process safer for you, we often provide you a fixed not to exceed the cost as well. That way, you are protected from an open-ended PO. However, the reality is our fees are based on time. In addition, services in say Catia or NX are more expensive than say Solidworks. Or, simulation services are commonly done by real engineers.
- Video Demonstration