If you’re a user of MicroStation, you know that it is a powerful Cad software product for professional 2-D and 3-D design and drafting. While its native format is the DGN format, it can also read and write a variety of standard CAD formats including DWG and DXF and produce media output in such forms as rendered images (JPEG and BMP), animations (AVI), 3D web pages in Virtual Reality Modeling Language (VRML), and Adobe Systems PDF.
Whether you’re using MicroStation for engineering and architecture and architecture design, or for advanced modeling and rendering, including boolean solids, raytracing, or keyframe animation, and want to increase your productivity while lowering your costs, you might want to consider CAD outsourcing of your MicroStation projects. The right outsources partner can provide specialized environments for architecture, civil engineering, mapping, or plant design, among others.
How to Find a Microsoft Drafting Outsource
One of the biggest considerations in finding an outsource to trust your Microsoft conversions and drafting too, is making sure that you locate professionals that you can trust, that are experienced, and that understand how you work, and what you’re trying to achieve. This can be a tall order!
I’ve been in the CAD industry for many years, and actually go back to the early days when the Bently brothers first developed MicroStation for Intergraph, so I can speak with some authority on both MicroStation, and the whole CAD outsourcing conundrum. There is no question that there are lots of outsourcing companies out there who can draw some lines and circles for you. The question is how to find the right one.
One way is to find a company that’s been around nearly as long as MicroStation and that has grown in experience as MicroStation has grown in functionality. Find a company that’s been doing CAD conversions using MicroStation since before the days of easy internet access to risky offshore or multi-national outsourcing organizations.
One such company is CAD CAM Services, Inc. Scott Shuppert, President of CAD CAM Services recommends the following considerations for finding the right outsource service for your MicroStation projects:
- Make sure that the outsource service you chose is willing and able to integrate seamlessly into your existing workflow.
- Ensure that there are no language barriers or cultural differences that could cause errors or hinder your efficiency
- Establish exactly how you will communicate with the service provider.
- State deadlines in advance.
- Establish deliverables and milestones.
- Keep your MicroStation drafting and product engineering and design consulting organization well informed to avoid errors.
- Make sure your CAD drafting services provider allows at least one Red-Line review and determine up front if there will be extra charges for the corrections.
- Clarify how you would like to address markups and change orders in advance.
- Funnel all communications through one channel so all product design specifications can be properly managed.
- Define all of your requirements in advance.
The MicroStation website defines MicroStation as the world’s leading information modeling environment explicitly for the architecture, engineering, construction, and operation of all infrastructure types including utility systems, roads and rail, bridges, buildings, communications networks, water and wastewater networks, process plants, mining, and more.
Make sure you find a MicroStation CAD outsource that is capable of using the advanced MicroStation technology to its fullest.