Can You Outsource 3D CAD Modeling?
Before you hire a freelancer to pick up the extra tasks on that new 3D CAD Modeling job that needs to be done, you should consider the pros and cons of outsourcing your 3D CAD Modeling. Is outsourcing a smart choice for your company? If it is, do you want a freelancer; or a bona fide CAD outsource company? Located in the U.S.A? Or offshore? What should you pay? How do you ensure the work is done right? Let’s start at the beginning…
First: Decide What 3D CAD Services You Need
There are many types of 3D CAD activities as well as various 3D CAD software packages with which these activities can be accomplished. So, your first goal is to determine just what services you need and what 3D software you prefer. Some of the services that you can outsource include: (1) 3D CAD Drafting; (2) 3D CAD Modeling, Rendering and Visualization; (3) BIM Modeling; and, (4) 2D to 3D CAD conversion. 3D CAD software options include (1) CATIA; (2) SolidWorks; (3)Revit, (4) Microstation and others.
Second: Decide How Much You Want to Outsource
Do you need someone to take ownership and responsibility of all of your CAD drafting, modeling, and visualization projects so that you can free your employees to bring in a new project? Or do you need to occasionally allocate resources elsewhere in order to improve operating margins? Making this decision at the outset will enable you to better define the type of outsource relationship you require.
If you need someone to take ownership of your 3D CAD projects, then you need an outsource firm with management expertise, in addition to their 3D CAD expertise. This type of outsourcing service will be more costly than the ‘per hour’ or ‘per project’ pricing that you will pay for the occasional outsource project because you will pay for the management expertise. However, this frees your employees to focus on other revenue-generating activities and eliminates the need to pay for full-time in-house 3D CAD management services. So, either way, outsourcing will improve your bottom line.
Third: Review the Qualifications You Need
Once you’ve settled internally on exactly what your 3D CAD needs are, then it’s time to go out and find the best fit in a CAD outsource service. Some questions to consider as you interview 3D CAD outsource companies are:
- With what CAD organizations are they affiliated? Learning this will provide you with some idea of their commitment, involvement, and standing in the CAD community as a whole.
- Do they have technical project managers from the field of architecture or engineer that is applicable to your project(s)? BIM (Building Information Modeling) is an integrated process built on coordinated, reliable information about a project from design through construction and operation, so you want experts in their field.
- Will they work with your teams to provide a seamless CAD service, regardless of whether it’s a one-off project or an ongoing relationship?
- Do they have the necessary skill sets on the latest version of your preferred software
- Do they offer a reasonable and flexible pricing model that meets your requirements?
- Do they guarantee their work?
Go for It!
If you’ve decided that you can benefit by outsourcing your 3D CAD drafting and modeling jobs, then make sure that choose a qualified outsourcing company. Whatever your application — automotive, shipbuilding, aerospace, industrial design, architectural design, prosthetics — you need to find a specialist outsource provider of CAD & Building Information Modeling (BIM) services, with experience In your field as well as expertise with the software you prefer. Contact us to find out more.