CAD 3D Modeling Outsource Tips
Is outsourcing your 3D CAD-BIM modeling, visualization and drafting a smart choice for your company? This article provides tips to help you decide whether or not CAD 3D modeling outsourcing is right for you.
Deciding What 3D CAD Services You Need
There are many types of 3D CAD activities as well as various 3D CAD software packages with which these activities can be accomplished. So, your first goal is to determine just what services you need and what 3D software you prefer. Some of the services that you can outsource include: (1) 3D CAD Drafting; (2) 3D CAD Modeling, Rendering and Visualization; (3) BIM Modeling; and, (4) 2D to 3D CAD conversion. 3D CAD software options include (1) CATIA; (2) SolidWorks; (3) Revit, (4) Microstation and others.
Deciding How Much You Want to Outsource
Do you need someone to take ownership and responsibility of all of your CAD drafting, modeling, and visualization projects so that you can free your employees to bring in the new project? Or do you need to occasionally allocate resources elsewhere in order to improve operating margins? Making this decision at the outset will enable you to better define the type of outsource relationship you require.
If you need someone to take ownership of your 3D CAD projects, then you need an outsource firm with management expertise, in addition to their 3D CAD expertise. This type of outsourcing service will be more costly than the ‘per hour’ or ‘per project’ pricing that you will pay for the occasional outsource project because you will pay for the management expertise. However, this frees your employees to focus on other revenue-generating activities and eliminates the need to pay for full-time in-house 3D CAD management services. So, either way, outsourcing will improve your bottom line.
Do You Need CAD Consulting Recommendations?
Sometimes, you’re too close to the problem to determine the best outsource solution. This is where qualified CAD consultants can help. A qualified CAD consultant has years of CAD management experience and has enough expertise to see the gaps in the skill set of your team and where improvements can be made in order to improve your internal efficiency and benefit your bottom line… CAD consultant can help in process development, RFP bid specifications, document preparation, technology advances, implementing and upgrading standards, training and much more.
3D CAD Qualifications
Once you’ve settled internally on exactly what your 3D CAD needs are, then it’s time to go out and find the best fit in a CAD outsource service. Some questions to consider as you interview 3D CAD outsource companies are:
- With what CAD organizations are they affiliated? Learning this will provide you with some idea of their commitment, involvement, and standing in the CAD community as a whole.
- Do they have technical project managers from the field of architecture or engineer that is applicable to your project(s)? BIM (Building Information Modeling) is an integrated process built on coordinated, reliable information about a project from design through construction and operation, so you want experts in their field.
- Will they work with your teams to provide a seamless CAD service, regardless of whether it’s a one-off project or an ongoing relationship?
- Do they have the necessary skill sets on the latest version of your preferred software
- Do they offer a reasonable and flexible pricing model that meets your requirements?
- Do they guarantee their work?
3D CAD is used in many applications, including automotive, shipbuilding, and aerospace industries, industrial and architectural design, prosthetics, and many more. If you’re going to outsource all our part of your 3D CAD operations, you need to find a specialist outsource provider of CAD & Building Information Modeling (BIM) services, using the software you prefer, as well as a range of specialized tools and personnel for planning and managing CAD projects.
Whether your firm is an architectural practice, the building developer, engineering consultant, you can benefit from outsourcing your 3D CAD drafting and modeling jobs, provided you choose an qualified outsourcing company.